Saturday, January 22, 2011

Macleod Sub Auto Rack Storage - Part 3

If you wish to follow along in Google Earth, here is the kmz file for download.

September 6th, 2010

This is the conclusion of the three part series of the Macleod Sub Auto Rack Storage. In part 2, I posted about the first 27 auto racks that were stored on the MacLeod Subdivision. Unfortunately for part 3, I am only able to show pictures and complete info for 2 auto racks and road names for most of the remaining 12 cars.

Back in September I was attacked by a hawk which prevented me from photographing the last few auto racks of the 39 in the second block. My intention was to wait until the first weekend of November. I figured that the hawk would be gone by then. I also wanted to get back out there to finish the job before the first snow fall, but a combination of time, work and scheduling did not permit this to happen. I had driven by a couple times after work to make sure that they were still there and figured I could knock off the last few over the Christmas holidays regardless of snow or not.

I drove out there late afternoon one day after Christmas to check the conditions and snow build up, but as I came over the hill they were all gone. I was not overly thrilled at this discovery. All the signs indicated that they were moved sometime in December when the snow was on the ground and probably not too long before the holidays at that.

It’s too bad that I did not get to finish this “inventory” as it was kind of fun to do. I had also intended to do the same to a few blocks of coal hoppers other rail cars that were stored on the Lomond Spur out by Herronton, but they were all taken away back in late September.

Here is the partially completed list of what the last few auto racks.

RAILROADREPORTING MARKTYPE
BNSFTTGX 997504Bi-Level
NSNS 110274Bi-Level
FERROMEXTTGX ?Bi-Level
NSTTGX ?Bi-Level
CONRAILTTGX ?Bi-Level
?TTGX ?Bi-Level
NSTTGX ?Bi-Level
?TTGX ?Bi-Level
UPTTGX ?Bi-Level
CSXTTGX ?Bi-Level
UPTTGX ?Bi-Level
CSXTTGX ?Bi-Level

Here are the last two pictures that I have of the auto racks that were stored on the MacLeod Sub. The Norfolk Southern car is a bi-level articulated AutoMax carrier. That was the first time I ever saw one in real life.

As a final thought, the next time I set out to do something like this I'll think back to this experience and finish the job as quickly as possible.

Goggle Earth kmz file.

Cheers,

2 comments:

Canadian Train Geek said...

Nice reporting! I have so many regrets about things "I'll get back to" but didn't. :P

jddc.trains said...

Thank you Steve.
If only one could turn back time. hehe. At least I got most of the auto racks. The way I view it, as long as one does some of the "I'll get back to" thing, it is good, at least one has some of it. If one does all of the "I'll get back to" thing, it is better, and next weeks post reflects this.

Cheers,